TPP revealed: Pact details ignite debate over privacy, internet freedom, whistleblowers

Source:RT
Date: 6 November 2015

With the release of the full text of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), a sharpening of arguments on both sides outline a debate about privacy, corporatism, internet freedom and intellectual property, and even the plight of whistleblowers.

The world got its first look at the international agreement between 12 Pacific Rim countries on Thursday, exactly one month after it was finalized on October 5. Given that the secret negotiations hammering out the pact had been ongoing since 2008, with details hard to come by, skeptics and critics had been expressing suspicions as to TPP’s true intentions and ultimate impact over the past couple years. Now they can finally stop speculating and have a look at the fine print. Continue reading TPP revealed: Pact details ignite debate over privacy, internet freedom, whistleblowers

Kim Dotcom is building his own private internet

Source:NZ Stuff
Date:2 November 2015

Kim Dotcom says MegaNet will make it difficult for governments to invade our privacy.

Kim Dotcom is building his own private internet, allegedly safe from the prying eyes of surveillance authorities.

MegaNet will rely on people’s unused processing power on their phones and laptops, and allow them to donate bandwidth to the service.

“The more people that install the MegaNet app on their devices, the more powerful it will become,” Dotcom said via video link at Sydney’s SydStart conference last week.

If 100 million smartphones joined up, the network would have more online storage capacity, bandwidth and calculating power than the top 10 largest websites in the world combined, he said.

It will rely on existing physical internet infrastructure people use today – so-called “dumb pipes” – but will add a new layer of encryption running through all communications. Continue reading Kim Dotcom is building his own private internet

The War on Cars Is a War on Workers and the Poor

Source:Mises Daily
Date: 28 October 2015
Author: Gary Galles

A just-released poll of Los Angeles residents found that 55 percent of respondents indicated their greatest concern was “traffic and congestion,” far ahead of “personal safety” — the next highest area of concern — at 35 percent. So if their city government was working in their best interests, it would be doing something about automobile congestion.

It is. Unfortunately, it will make things worse.

Los Angeles’s recently adopted Mobility Plan 2035 would replace auto lanes in America’s congestion capital with bus and protected bike lanes, as well as pedestrian enhancements, despite heightening congestion for the vast majority who will continue to drive. Even the City’s Environmental Impact Report admitted “unavoidable significant adverse impacts” on congestion, doubling the number of heavily congested (graded F) intersections to 36 percent during evening rush hours. Continue reading The War on Cars Is a War on Workers and the Poor