February 12, 2015
Primary Industries Minister Nathan Guy has officially declared drought conditions on the east coast of the South Island as being a “medium-scale adverse event”.
The declaration, which will trigger Government support for farmers, covers parts of Otago, Canterbury and the Marlborough district.
“Most farmers have coped so far by destocking and using feed supplies, and most will not need extra support,” he said in a statement. “However it’s clear that conditions are only going to get tougher as the seasons change and we need to prepare now,” he said. Continue reading Drought declared in South Island